Clean and Go Green - Winter 2015!
With the semester coming to an end, now is the perfect time to...clean! Cleaning your office or living space creates more space and will help kick-start your new year. Columbia University Facilities and our partners across campus want to help. As part of our award winning "Clean + Go Green" program, we will make large bins available across campus, at no cost to you, for the recycling, reuse or proper disposal of large unwanted items. Best of all, Facilities will separate and recycle your items. That way, when you clean, you "go green."
- Thursday, December 10, 2015 - Friday, December 11th, 2015
- Drop-off hours at all locations are between 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. only. During this time, Facilities staff will be on hand to help with unloading and recycling.
- Reuse/Donation Drop-off Location: White tent on Low Plaza
- Recycling Drop-off Locations: Fairchild Courtyard; Walkway between Lerner Hall and Butler Library; The Grove at 119th Street and Amsterdam Avenue
- Paper Shredding Location: College Walk near Kent Hall
Items you can bring to a Clean + Go Green drop-off location include:
- Textiles & Linens
- Non-perishable Food
- Books/Used Books
- Small Household Items
- Computer Monitors, Keyboards and CPUs (please clean your hard drive)
- Electronic Equipment
- Bulbs, including compact fluorescents
- Toner Cartridges
- Paint Cans
Items you CANNOT bring to a Clean + Go Green drop-off location:
- Laboratory equipment
- Laboratory refrigerators
- Laboratory furniture that has potentially come into contact with chemical, biological or radioactive material
- Metal bricks or any material previously used as shielding
- Compressed gas cylinders
- Used oil
- Mercury containing devices (e.g., thermometers, switches, thermostats)
- Smoke detectors
Contact Environmental Health and Safety for removal or clearance to remove items on this list.
Bring items to be shredded to the Paper Shredding Location on College Walk near Kent Hall. A truck will be available for all of your shredding needs every day of the event from 8:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m.
NEED HELP MOVING YOUR STUFF?
For a fee, movers will come directly to your office to collect and recycle your unwanted items. Contact the Columbia University Facilities Services Center at x4-2222 by end of business on Monday, December 7th and mention "Clean + Go Green" to request service.
DONATE YOUR USED BOOKS!
Don't throw your used books away-donate them instead! Bring your used books to the tent at Low Plaza and we will find them a new, happy home.
FIND SOMETHING SPECIAL FOR COLUMBIA'S ARCHIVES?
Help preserve the institutional memory of the University. Contact Columbia University Archives at x4-3786 before disposing of any historical information relevant to the history of the University.
You can help ensure that this year's "Clean + Go Green" program is a success-please spread the word! Should you have any questions about this event or need other facilities-related information, please contact the Facilities Services Center at x4-2222. We look forward to seeing you at Clean + Go Green!