Clean + Go Green - December 5 to 6, 2019
There’s no better time than the present to...clean! Cleaning your office or living space creates more space and can also help the environment. Columbia University Facilities and Operations and our partners across campus want to help. As part of our award-winning "Clean + Go Green" program, we will make large bins available across campus – including at the Manhattanville campus – at no cost to you for the recycling, reuse or proper disposal of large, unwanted items. Best of all, Facilities and Operations will separate and recycle your items. That way, when you clean, you "go green."
* Thursday, December 5, 2019 and Friday, December 6, 2019, Rain or Shine!
* Drop-off hours are between 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. only. During this time, Facilities and Operations staff will be on hand to help with unloading and recycling.
*Reuse/Donation Drop-off Location: White tent on Low Plaza
*Recycling Drop-off Locations:
- Fairchild Courtyard
- Walkway between Lerner Hall and Butler Library
- The Grove at 119th Street and Amsterdam Avenue
- Manhattanville – The Small Square in front of the Lenfest Center for the Arts
*Paper Shredding Locations:
- College Walk near Kent Hall (shredding truck)
- Manhattanville – The Small Square (secure shredding bins)
NOTE: No cars are allowed on campus. The closest electronics recycling accessible by car is via 114th Street (carrying items through the Carman Gate), or 129th Street in front of the Small Square.
Items you can bring to a Clean + Go Green drop-off location include:
Reuse/Donation (Low Plaza only):
- Textiles and Linens
- Non-perishable Food
- Books/Used Books
- Small Household Items
Second-hand clothing, textiles, linens, non-perishable food, coats and shoes will go to Columbia Community Service organizations that provide emergency services.
- Furniture (not available at Manhattanville/Small Square location)
- Computer Monitors, Keyboards and CPUs (please clean your hard drive)
- Electronic Equipment
- Bulbs, including compact fluorescents
- Toner Cartridges
- Paint Cans
Items you CANNOT bring to a Clean + Go Green drop-off location:
- Laboratory equipment
- Laboratory refrigerators
- Laboratory furniture that has potentially come into contact with chemical, biological or radioactive material
- Metal bricks or any material previously used as shielding
- Compressed gas cylinders
- Used oil
- Mercury containing devices (e.g., thermometers, switches, thermostats)
- Smoke detectors
Contact Environmental Health and Safety for removal or clearance to remove items on this list.
Bring items to be shredded to the Paper Shredding Locations on College Walk near Kent Hall and the Small Square in Manhattanville every day of the event from 8:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. As a reminder, before disposing of administrative records, please refer to the Records Retention and Disposal policies.
NEED HELP MOVING YOUR STUFF?
For a fee, movers will come directly to your office to collect and recycle your unwanted items (available for offices at the Morningside campus only). Contact the Columbia University Facilities Services Center at 212-854-2222 by end of business on Monday, December 2 and mention "Clean + Go Green" to request service.
DONATE YOUR USED BOOKS!
Don't throw your used books away—donate them instead! Bring your used books to the tent at Low Plaza where they could be used by your fellow Columbians.
FIND SOMETHING SPECIAL FOR COLUMBIA'S ARCHIVES?
Help preserve the institutional memory of the University. Contact Columbia University Archives at 212-854-3786 before disposing of any historical information relevant to the history of the University.