Façade Inspections and Repair Projects at Academic Buildings During Fall 2020
This fall, Facilities and Operations is performing a number of façade inspections and repair work to academic buildings on the Morningside campus in accordance with the NYC Department of Building’s Façade Inspection and Safety Program.
The Façade Inspection Safety Program, which was first established in 1998 as Local Law 11, requires property owners to perform exterior facade inspections on buildings and issue reports to the NYC DOB on a rotating five-year cycle.
The list of active projects includes:
- Butler Library: Minor repairs, including stone cutting and patching, and façade inspection
- Dodge Hall: Minor repairs, including, patching, stone cutting, and pointing, window painting on the south elevation, and façade inspection
- Lewisohn: Minor repairs, including crack repairs and patching, and limited window painting
- Mudd: Repairs, including face brick replacement, repointing and a section of parapet rebuild, and façade inspection
- Northwest Corner Building: Façade inspection
As safety is our highest priority, sidewalk shedding and scaffolding will be erected around the work sites as a protective measure while this work is performed. Sidewalk shedding and scaffolding will be most prominent around Dodge Hall on College Walk leading to Lewisohn on Broadway. Protective shedding and scaffolding is not indicative of major work and will be removed once the projects have been completed and passed inspection.
For all projects, contractors are required to follow the latest COVID-19 health and safety guidance from the CDC to maintain safety, which includes wearing masks/face coverings and maintaining physical distancing.
Façade Inspection and Repair Projects - Update for October 20, 2020
- Exterior sidewalk shed and pipe scaffolding at Dodge Hall will be erected beginning on Thursday, October 22nd.
- The installation of the sidewalk shed will begin on College Walk and move directly onto Broadway. Pipe scaffolding will be installed at the south elevation. There will be flag people on Broadway to maintain a clear pedestrian path while this work is performed.
- This installation is anticipated to take 10 days to install, weather permitting, and will create limited intermittent noise.
Façade Inspection and Repair Projects - Update for October 16, 2020
- Exterior sidewalk shed will be reinstalled at Mudd Hall on Monday, October 19th, limited to a section on Amsterdam Avenue. This installation is anticipated to take three 3 days to complete, weather permitting.
Façade Inspection and Repair Projects - Update for October 1, 2020
- Exterior sidewalk shed installation at Lewisohn Hall will take place on Monday, October 5th, beginning on Broadway and followed by a small section over the main entrance. This installation is anticipated to take a week to install, weather permitting, and will create limited intermittent noise.
- Two pipe scaffolding towers will be installed at the east and south elevations.