Repairs and Historic Restoration of Low Library Second Floor Lobby
Facilities and Operations has commenced repairs and a historic restoration of the second floor lobby of Low Memorial Library, the first academic building constructed on the Morningside campus in 1897.
Historic preservation specialists worked with an architect to develop the full scope of work, which includes repairs to the ornate plaster ceiling and walls, and cleaning of the gilded column capitals, masonry, chandelier and light pendants.
Image Carousel with 4 slides
A carousel is a rotating set of images. Use the previous and next buttons to change the displayed slide
Slide 1: Probes were created to investigate conditions within the plaster ceiling required precise cuts to prevent damage to the ornate ceiling.
Slide 2: Conservators investigated the layers of paint and sent samples to labs for examination in order to match historic intent in anticipation of new paint application.
Slide 3: View of a larger section of plaster ceiling repairs.
Slide 4: Conservators at work making repairs to the plaster ceiling. Site protection includes elaborate sound barriers with felt-tip panels, padding lining the walls., and plastic covering, collectively designed to minimize noise and protect from dust.
As Low Library is a landmark building, all work requires conservators performing at a high-level of detail and meticulousness to ensure that the restoration is in keeping with the building’s historic intent. Conservators used methods to achieve the desired result including the examination of paint samples in a lab and the testing of multiple cleaning agents.
In addition, the project site is protected with elaborate sound barriers with felt-lined panels and plastic covering that are designed to minimize noise and protect the building from dust.
Work on the project is progressing on schedule, with an anticipated completion date in February 2020.